Re: Rack Location and Access

Good point about the flue.  I do want to centralise alot of the hi fi
and server stuff so a bigger rack and cupboard will be required.  It
is possible to fit it in the new utility room or even the kitchen
however I am a little wary of the proximity of water pipes.

I definately do not want trunking outside the property so cavities,
internal trunking and lots of joist work is in the offing!

I'm down in Rustington, by Littlehampton and would welcome a visit,
although I might get to your open house first! :-)

Best rgds,

Jeremy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@a...>
wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I'd be wary of using the flue for cable routing. It may be that
_you_
> will never want to use that flue for a fire, but potential
purchasers
> of your house might, and having it stuffed with cable could lose
you
> the sale.
>
> My "node zero" is in a fitted cupboard in my dressing room.
In
fact,
> all that's really there is the patch panel, the switch, Homevision,
> and the wireless base-station.
>
> All the servers live out either in my study, or Mary's study. Doing
> it this way rather simplified the need for ventilation - since I
> don't have much in the way of hot kit in enclosed spaces.
>
> The cupboard in question abuts an external wall - I run out of that
> wall into "B&Q White Trunking" (other trunking vendors
are
available)

<jeremyaston@y...>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm thinking about where to site my node zero as part of planning
> an
> > extension and am interested to know what considerations should be
> > made for rack access (front and rear), ventilation, cabling etc.
> >
> > I have thought about using a chimney breast in the lounge, with
> rear
> > access via the room on the other side of the chimney.  This also
> > provides a neat route up to the roof via the old flue.
Ventilation