Re: Fixed IP / IP ranges

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fixed IP / IP ranges
  • From: "kinchyuk" <alex@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:35:29 -0000

It's to do with classless IP routing (CIDR, or classless inter-domain
routing to give it's full title), and generally indicates the number
of IP addresses in a subnet. /29 will give you 6 useable IPs once
you've taken away two for network address and broadcast address. A /8
is rather larger, with 16,777,214 useable IPs after the above
subtractions.

Have a look at http://johnno.casebook.org/subnet.html
for a table of
these sort of things, or
http://www.urec.cnrs.fr/autres_techno/BGP4/CIDR_faq.html
for a CIDR
FAQ.

HTH,

Alex

> Gerard,
>
> My TCP/IP knowledge is a bit thin, what does the /29 and /8 mean?
>
> Cheers,
> Lee

for some real