From: Gerard McGovern [mailto:stuff@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 July 2003 14:53
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Fixed IP / IP ranges

> Yeh well said.... and if I may add why the hell the need for
> a /29 (7 ips @ home on an adsl connection). You can't do any
> serious serving at home anyway. Come on folks there aint that
> many ipv4 addresses around so this is just a waste.

Actually I read an article that suggested if IPs were allocated properly
then we'd be fine for quite some time. I'll copy and paste this from an
article I found:

"It's being deliberately created by groups with financial interests in
move to IPv6. Check out webpage...
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
for some real
stupidity.
The following all have 16 million public IP addresses, except HP which has
32 million. We're talking a grand total of over 240,000,000, yes folks
*TWO
HUNDRED AND FORTY MILLION PUBLIC IP ADDRESSES* assigned to outfits that
don't really need them (see below). Then there are companies where every
desktop has a public address. This is not only wasteful, but stupid
security-wise. You do *NOT* want your desktops accessable from outside.
NAT
lets them surf the net, thank you. Furthermore, discussions in anti-spam
groups indicate that *ASSIGNED* address ranges that belong to bankrupt
companies have been hi-jacked by spammers, because nobody's around to
claim
the addresses. The so-called shortage is a joke. The only question in my
mind is whether this is incompetence or deliberate waste in an effort to
force IPv6 before it's really necessary.

General Electric has 16 million addresses (3.0.0.0/8) even though it has a
policy of *NOT* routing them externally. GE goes and gets other address
ranges for its external-facing servers. Sheesh.

Xerox (13.0.0.0/8)

HP started out with 16 million (15.0.0.0/8) and acquired Compaq which had
acquired Digital and its 16 million (16.0.0.0/8). HP now has *THIRTY-TWO
MILLION* public IP addresses.

Apple (17.0.0.0/8)

MIT (18.0.0.0/8)

Ford (19.0.0.0/8)

Halliburton (34.0.0.0/8)

Eli Lily (40.0.0.0/8)

Bell-Northern (47.0.0.0/8)

Prudential Securities (48.0.0.0/8)

Department of Social Security UK (51.0.0.0/8)

Dupont (52.0.0.0/8)

Merck (54.0.0.0/8)

USPS (56.0.0.0/8)"