Re: Rack Location and Access

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Rack Location and Access
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:19:29 -0000

Jeremy,

I'd be wary of using the flue for cable routing. It may be that _you_
will never want to use that flue for a fire, but potential purchasers
of your house might, and having it stuffed with cable could lose you
the sale.

My "node zero" is in a fitted cupboard in my dressing room. In
fact,
all that's really there is the patch panel, the switch, Homevision,
and the wireless base-station.

All the servers live out either in my study, or Mary's study. Doing
it this way rather simplified the need for ventilation - since I
don't have much in the way of hot kit in enclosed spaces.

The cupboard in question abuts an external wall - I run out of that
wall into "B&Q White Trunking" (other trunking vendors are
available)
and down the side of the house into two rooms downstairs.

The key advantage for us of locating the wiring panel upstairs was
that we could run to every upstairs room via the loft space, and
simply drop down a few feet into the cupboard.

Pulling cable, and planning, is a game best played as a team - I am
still grateful to James Hoye, Paul Wootton and Phil Harris for their
help - James/Paul for their cable pulling and drilling work - Phil
for coming up with the perfect plan.

Where are you located? If it's anywhere near Gatwick, I'd be happy to
have a look at your house and make "helpful" suggestions...
Otherwise, I'm sure there's an experienced UKHAer near you who might
be able to do the same...

Regards,

Mark Harrison

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jeremy Aston" <jeremyaston@y...>