RE: Re: Sky+ at node zero

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Sky+ at node zero
  • From: "Paul" <p-gale@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:27:21 +0100

Does the homenet offer a high quality video distribution system like Kat5
(=
www.kat5.tv) using Cat5? I was under the impression they just had an RF
dis=
tribution system (which IMO is a waste of time if you want good quality
and=
are serious about video everywhere). Cat5e can be used for sensors althoug=
h I used screened 8 core alarm cable as it's more flexible and easier to
fi=
t and was only slightly more expensive than other cables.

=20

I have a pretty full and complex HA/Alarm system comprising:

=20

Comfort with second slave enclosure

2 x UCM's

Smartfit heating system with Smartfit UCM

At least one PIR in every room (something like 18 rooms/areas)

Glass break sensors

Cat5e absolutely everywhere (about 4Km ish)

Extron video matrix switcher (composite and stereo)

Whole-house audio

Whole-house microphone system (for voice recognition when the software
fina=
lly gets better!)

Various video sources including Sky+ and Sky (freeview)

Wired networking, wireless etc

5 CCTV cameras

something like 16 Kat5 units (including RGB for the plasma)

Motion detection system running under Linux

HomeVision HA controller

Lots of HA software running on server

40 X10 LD11's + AD10's in 3 54way enclosures for control of ALL lights in
t=
he house

several phone lines distributed via Cat5e patch panels

The list goes on...

=20

Don't underestimate the time it takes to retro fit wiring like Cat5e,
alarm=
, audio etc - mine took me about 4-5 weeks solid (early mornings and late
n=
ights) spread over several months - there was a lot though!

=20

Cat5e faceplates - I looked around for a long time to find the right look
-=
in the end I just went with an MK design which was plain and OK - didn't g=
et the best deal though although I bought rather a lot!

=20

Heating - the Smartfit system is very good and links directly to Comfort.
I=
can control it via comfort, homevision, ACE or any other system I want as =
it all talks to each other (after a lot of playing and config!). Not the
ch=
eapest solution though.

=20

Lighting - I personally wouldn't go X10 for anything but lighting (as X10
l=
ighting is cheaper than C-Bus etc) although if I was doing it again (next
h=
ouse!), I'd definitely go for something like C-Bus for it's reliability of
=
signals and status reporting (big downside to X10) - is considerably more
t=
hough. I have quite a big house and do have several X10 'dead spots' that
I=
've never been able to fix. I recently connected the X10 transmitter
direct=
ly into the X10 enclosures and now it's super reliable :-)

=20

I've probably spent around =A320k for the infrastructure and Comfort/HA
con=
trollers and that's with doing everything myself.

=20

Don't know if that's helped at all - feel free to ask more...

Paul.=20

=20