Re: Sky+ at node zero

It is a new build ... but it is already built :-(

Basically I have bought a new flat, and plan to install cat5e and
ct100 throughout before moving in.  This isnt as bad as I first
thought.  The flat is all on one level, and the hall has a false
ceiling with a 2ft gap above - ideal for running cables from node
zero.  I've also managed to secure the services of the original
electrician who wired the flats.  Luckily he is familiar with
structured wiring as well.

I plan to also put in a Comfort control system.  Tricky bit is
working out exactly what wiring I will need for this!  I would like
to control at least the lights, heating, and hot water.  Plus there's
the security sensors to think off!

I am as yet undecided about the Sky+ distribution.  Its either the
Kat5 system, or perhaps IP Homenet.  I like the look of the IP
Homenet since its provides a neat all-in-one (well, almost) solution -
video, data, phone etc.  It is expensive, but it is available now.

Also planned for node zero are a Cisco 2600 ADSL router (since I work
for them ;-), and a Netgear fast-ethernet switch.  The Cisco 2600 is
too big for the IP Homenet rack, so I may get a small wallmounted one
>from

I am working to a pretty tight timescale for all this.  I move in on
8th august, and will only have one week to do the cabling.

Difficult bit just now is working out exactly which cables I will
need, and where to put them.  I'm still trying to understand how X10
works, and what is required to have it control the lights and
heating - wiring back to node zero?  new CH control panel?  New room
thermostats?

A few questions:

Anyone used videk.co.uk for cat5 stuff?

Can cat5e be used for PIR sensors?

Which type of cat5 wallplates are best?  Videk offer three types -
they seem to be of differing qualities.  Prices for a dual faceplate
(ex. VAT) are 5.95, 7.45, and 8.95

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Ian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, <ha@r...> wrote:
> Ian,
>
> You don't mention what cables you have available to each room. Or
is it a
> new build?
>
> Richard

AVS-