RE: Networked DVD player

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Networked DVD player
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:22:31 +0100

Here is my feedback that was passed on to Kiss after I was lent one of
these units:

1. The menus look awful, a lot of this may well be down to the design
which is one of the poorest gui's I have come across. Compare it to
something like the Tivo interface and you'll see what I mean.

2. When looking through a list of albums in the music module you can't
see any of the cover shots, this is pretty standard functionality on
many mp3 players.

3. Even worse, when browsing a load of pictures, you don't see
thumbnails, this really is a basic requirement of any picture browser.

4. When viewing a picture it is stretch horizontally and the quality is
dreadful.

5. When playing a divx from any of the disk you included, the picture is
squashed vertically to such an extent that I have black bars covering
almost 2/3 of the screen. There are also small black bars at the sides
of the picture.

6. There seems to be a lot of pixelation with the opening sequence in
the Gold Member disk, I don't know if that is the player or the disk.

7. I can only select AVI's from the LAN to play, no IFO, VOB or other
movie file types seem to be supported.

8. The machine does not actually browse the network itself, rather it is
supplied a list from the software running on the PC. So presumably I
would have to rebuild the list on the PC every time I added a new film,
song or picture to the LAN.

9. When playing a DVD the picture is too big for the screen. I am
definitely losing some of the picture from the sides and I think some at
the top and bottom too. Aspect ratio seems to be correct, it is just
that the picture is too large.

10. When playing a DVD there is no dialogue at all and the only sound
seems to be effects which are coming out of the front speakers. The amp
is indicating a digital source, so it seems to be that the 5.1 is not
being decoded/directed properly by the KISS. The same disk in a DVD
player plays perfectly through the same cables to the same amp.

Now it is possible that I set something up incorrectly, but I do have a
reasonable amount of experience with HiFi, AV and PC's ;-)

Graham