RE: Major panic last night

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Major panic last night
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:07:20 +0100

Just wondering Paul what type of sensor you have in the kitchen - where the
dog was, and what would happen at the house when the alarm went off ??
Sirens ?
Is it possible you got one false alarm in the hall and when the alarm
sounded the dog went frantic and caused a second trip in the kitchen ? Dual
trips are always very worrying - if the trips had occurred instantaneously
on Comfort I might have thought it could be a hardware issue but separated
this is highly unlikely.
If this did persist a good second opinion can be had by using some
separately wired PIR's into say HV and checking to see if any of those had
tripped as well - this is sort of what the 'new' alarm policing
requirements
mandate - that you have two separate technologies (not two PIR's) that can
confirm an intruder - eg break glass and PIR or break beam and microwave. I
don't know if PIR and microwave count - I know they don't if they both
originate from the same sensor as in dual tech's.
Dual technology PIR's have improved my false alarms no end - basically the
units have a microwave and standard PIR in one housing - both technologies
are required to 'trip' before the sensor creates an alarm condition. They
are more expensive than the standard PIR's but not overly so. I replaced
all
my PIR's with these, it eliminated all my thermal creep issues - eg in my
cast iron long radiators which got hot from one end to the other and (I
think) were causing false activations.

Kevin