RE: Re: CBus introductory course

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: CBus introductory course
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:58:36 +0100

I think this is one that just can't be answered 'yet'. When installing
cbus for the first time I had many such questions. For example:

Does cbus come under SELV regs?
Can a cbus switch be fitted in a bathroom?

The answers at the time from CIS were ambiguous to say the least.

The reality is it that the regs were written before cbus and thus you
have to 'take a view'. I have had a building inspector check my property
and he gave it the all clear. But what was clear was that he was VERY
unfamiliar with cbus or any such system and took a 'view'.

Over time inspectors and the regs will catch up. As with all
regulations, whether they be H&S, Fire, Building a large amount of it
is
GREY. Not black and white and much comes down to interpretation by your
local building inspector.

If you're at all uncertain, get the building inspector to come and see
you. They are generally very helpful and ALMOST always get quite excited
about seeing something new and shiny in the world of the building trade.

My final comment is perhaps a little more controversial;

If your going for a full blown pro install then fine if not. Consider
the option of installing a traditional 240v circuit for lighting etc
side by side with cbus, you don't have to physically wire it up BUT if
you decide to leave or sell your current property you can restore it to
a 'normal' state and take all your goodies to the next property. Buyers
at certain house price levels are VERY shy of all this 'fandangled'
technology and it may actually inhibit your ability to sell.

Many thanks

Rob Mouser
rmouser@xxxxxxx