Re: CBus introductory course

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CBus introductory course
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:41:30 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@t...> wrote:
> I think this is one that just can't be answered 'yet'. When
>installing cbus for the first time I had many such questions. For
> example:
> Does cbus come under SELV regs?
> Can a cbus switch be fitted in a bathroom?
>
> The answers at the time from CIS were ambiguous to say the least.
>
> The reality is it that the regs were written before cbus and thus
> you have to 'take a view'.

Nah.

There is nothing in CBus that isnt covered by the regulations.  The
only question is "Is CBus stuff and your installation of same fully
compliant with the definitions and reguations concerning SELV?"

If it is, you can install SELV in Zone 2 and above in a bathroom.  It
cant be installed in Zone 1, as it uses 36vdc which is > 30vdc, the
zone 1 limit.

I've wibbled on about wiring already, the other key thing is the
voltage source.  If it has a transformer compliant with BS 3535, and
the CBus bus is floating (ie not connected to earth) then it complies.