RE: Re: LW10u - won't turn off ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: LW10u - won't turn off ?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:29:33 -0000

> From: Marcus Warrington [mailto:marcusw@xxxxxxx]
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: LW10u - won't turn off ?
>

> Keith,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply (as usual).. :)
>
> >> Try putting a 200W load on the switch to see if you can then
> >> turn it off  remotely when it is set to 100%, if you can then
> >> it would indicate that it needs more power to operate or more
signal.

> If this is the case how can I go about this.. the room is only a small
> box room and even a 100watt bulb is a little too bright, I wouldn't
> want to stick a 200watt in there permanently.

I didnt mean permanently, just as a test to see if it made a difference

> I assume that using a LD10 or AD10 would help since it doesn't
> rely on the voltage drop ?

If the problem is related to insufficient power for the switch to operate
properly then an AD10 or LD10 would be OK, but if it is a signal strength
issue then it might make no difference whatsoever

> > If you have a "FILTERED POWERSTRIP" for anything eg
HiFi or
> > PC equipment, note that the filter is designed to kill
interference
> > on the mains side which means that it will kil X10 dead.
>
> The adjacent room does have all my computer equipment that has around
> three extension leads plugged together. I don't know if they are
> the filter variety or not but are you saying that if they were they
> would kill X10 in that part of the house.

They could, in fact almost certainly would but PC equipment is pretty good
at killing X10 as are Sony TV's.

> Thinking about it I do
> remember that I could not get an appliance module to work on those
> extensions leads (trying to allow remote reset of a Belkin WAP that
> keeps hanging)
>
> Sounds like I need to invest in a filter plug or two..

Definately sounds that way.

Keith