Re: VPN Question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: VPN Question
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:56:03 -0000

Paul,

I think this option is a red herring. The option pointed to is an=20
option within MS VPN, which isn't what you're using... Nortel=20
Conntivity stuff is excellent, but interoperability is lousy, hence=20
running the Nortel Client on your PC rather than the MS one.

I am guessing that one of two things is happening:

1: You are using a set of IP ranges that are also in use on the far=20
side of the Nortel concentrator, and the VPN profile is set up as a=20
clash.=20

It would be worth running "IP Config" and "ROUTE PRINT"
both before=20
and after you connect the Nortel client. If you want to let me have=20
the results, it will be a step to diagnosing whether IP conflicts are=20
the problem.

If they are, don't panic - the way around this is probably to give=20
your home LAN IP addresses somewhere like 172.16.0.0. (This is the=20
third legitimate "can be used anywhere locally" set - most big=20
organisations use 10.0.0.0 and most small ones use 192.168.0.0)

2: If it's NOT an IP problem, it MIGHT just be a name resolution one.=20
Is it possible that, immediately after connecting to the VPN, you=20
then connect on to a Domain or an AD? If so, Domain/AD Master=20
Browsing might stuff your name resolution. Again, don't panic,=20
there's a straightforward way around this by adding static=20
resolutions for local devices into=20
$WINDIR$/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and lmhosts.

Regards,

Mark

<I.C.B.Goodhew@r...>=20
> wrote:
> > On windows XP untick the box =A1=C6use default gateway on
remote=20
> network=A1=C7,
> > in the advanced tcp/ip properties for the vpn connection.=20
Otherwise=20
> all
> > traffic goes via the remote network.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Iain
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
network=20
> which
> > now has a HP PSC2510 network printer scanner etc attached to it.
> >=20
> > The printer is excellent, however there is one slight problem
in=20
> that
> > when I am connected to the VPN I cannot see the printer or any
> > computers on my network.
> >=20
> > So the question is:- Is it possible to connect to both the VPN=20
and=20
> my
> > internal network at the same time (before anyone mentions
security
> > this is all sat behind a Mitel SME Gateway server)??
> >=20
> > The alternative is to use USB to connect to the printer but I was
> > hoping to put the laptop in node zero and use a Belkin KVM=20
extender
> > to acces it.
> >=20
> > Paul
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=3D12crl3qi3/M=3D259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=
=3D
> eg
> >=20
>=20
roupweb/S=3D1705041992:HM/EXP=3D1071326744/A=3D1524963/R=3D0/*http:/hits.41=
1we
> b.

com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=3D556&lineid=3D3614674=A2=E7=3Degroupweb&pos=
=3DHM>