Re: Guest Friendly Homes {Scanned for Viruses}

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Guest Friendly Homes {Scanned for Viruses}
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:19:41 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, yahoo@s... wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:47:51PM +0000, Stuart Grimshaw wrote:
> So could you have two X10 house codes running? (running two computer
> interfaces, naturally)
>
> House code A (e.g.) is used by all the controls in the house. Each
light
> switch, IR-X10 bridge, and RF control sends signals onto 'A'.
>
> House code B is then used solely to control the devices.
>
> The computer sits in the middle and moves messages from A to B as
and
> when appropriate. Normally this would be a simple COPY(A->B).
> Occasionally this would be COPY(A->B&C&D) for switching TV,
amp and
> source selector. And occasionally (e.g. Mal's bathroom!) it would be
> COPY(A->B, but only if A hasn't been re-pressed in the last 2
seconds).
> This would give the light time to switch on (without guest
interuption)
> and make them go "Ooo! it fades up!".

I think there may be some confusion here. The lights fading up and
down are usually those controlled by a Din rail module (LD11) in
which case they are connected to a normal momentary switch, there is
no x10 involved in manually controlling the light. If you are
controlling the light via x10, then it will usually be coming from
a 'more intelligent controller', in which case you may have access to
extended x10 and other tricks to have the light come on instantly.
But certainly this latter functionality would have nothing to do with
your guest pressing a wall switch.

As I understand it the problem, which I too have encountered, is with
non-HA guests controlling an LD11 from a momentary switch, and there
is no solution for that! I can't really see what the second set of
house codes achieves.