RE: Guest Friendly Homes {Scanned for Viruses}

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Guest Friendly Homes {Scanned for Viruses}
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel.giddings@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:11:39 -0000

This is very similar to my intention, each room or Zone will rx IR from
a pronto. Each IR Rxer will be set to a specific house code
corresponding to each zone.

Therefore, when you press 'light on' on the pronto in Zone A (The
lounge) then Homeseer receives something like A4on.

If you now walk to another zone (the master Bedroom) with the same
pronto, or use another pronto with exactly the same config, and press
'light on' Homeseer will receive B4on.

This is because the IR receiver (not the pronto) determines the house
code. The pronto only sends 4on.

By doing this the code received by Homeseer is location dependant, it
knows what room the command is for.

The advantages are:

Standard config on all prontos in the house.

Same user interface on all prontos. If you want the light on in the room
just press the 'light on' button. No need to ensure you are in the right
screen for the room you are in.

By having all the Pronto's with the same config a failure of one Pronto
does not put that zone out of action, just borrow a pronto from another
room. If the battery is low just swap with the neighbouring room while
it recharges.

Of course some codes could be common across all housecodes, 'all lights
off' as an example.

Disadvantages:

Dimming by this route introduces delays, solution, pre-program
housecodes to scenes which Homeseer sends. IE A4dim, from Pronto/IR
Rxer, translated by Homeseer to: Lounge Centre Light 60%, Wall Lights
25%, Picture lights on. This could be achieved by X-10, C-Bus, Relays or
any combination as Homeseer could send several commands based on one
received code...

All automation relies on Homeseer, if Homeseer fails everything stops...
Solution, ensure basic switches still available on walls for lighting.
Also ensure your Homeseer H/W is industrial strength, not an unprotected
PC under the desk in the study running all sorts of other rubbish...

Just my intention....

Nigel