Re: caller id (and talkworks)

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:31:20 +1100, "Frank Mc Alinden"
<fmcalind@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>        Correct me if im wrong but the way i see things is that
applications
> are being written to convert all forms of data into xap messages
> ie meteor cid??

That's about the size of it, yes. And once they exist in the xAP world
anything can do as it wishes with the data. Even other h/w devices,
it's not specifically s/w apps.

> and other applications are picking up this data and
>converting the xap message to suit the hardware device eg tivo ??

Yes, I suppose a conversion is being dealt with in many cases. All you
really need to see on the xAP network are the xAP messages signifying
events and commands. What happens with these packets of information is
quite wide open but often there'll be something that takes the
information and reformats it to be used on some other device, such as
the SliMP3.

> correct.......At the moment there arent many devices talking pure
xap??

Do you mean hardware devices talking native xAP? Mmmm, possibly not.
I'm more of a s/w guy than h/w, so one of the various h/w guys (whom I
hope to learn from in future sometime) might be better able to offer
words here.

>....and i assume this is the case for xPL....If my assumptions are
>correct i cant for the life of me understand how we have ended up with
>two protocols.............????? as the pc applications are doing all
>the hard work...........confused!!!

Well, the division is perhaps down to a different vision. I'm not
really the person to answer that. It truly is a shame which probably
frustrates both of us I'm sure.

Interoperability *is* possible though and Kevin Hawkins is making good
use of this, but I just haven't had the time to try it all out myself.
Too many xAP things on my ToDo list. It's 11:45pm on a Friday night as
I type this and actually behind this email window I have
VisualStudio.net open with my xAP development projects, working on
something! Spare time? What's that?! :))

As for the PCs doing the hard work, that's just easier for me. I can
use various devices with s/w drivers simply because I already have the
skillset to deal with that. I definitely want to learn to build h/w
devices but I can turn around s/w very quickly in all likely
comparison. Soon though! Then hopefully I can learn from you what
currently flies over my head in your posts.

xAP solves some common problems and has kept me completely fascinated
for the past year. I think it's great. What else can I say?!

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/