From: Stuart Booth
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] caller id (and talkworks)

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:31:24 +0000, Stephen
<yahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I would like to use my pc to get the caller id and announce who is
>calling.
> I am now armed with a pace
>modem from ebay and a zoom from pc world.

xAP is perfect for handling this kind of thing. When the CID event
arrives you need to generate a xAP message which says "Hey, there's an
incoming call!". Other xAP enabled s/w or h/w on your network can then
deal with this message as suits them:

You might log the call to a database.
You might display it on a SliMP3, on your PC screen or on TiVo for
instance.
You might also want a TextToSpeech announcement.

All this from one xAP message and any number of xAP enabled s/w
packages that suits you (sir!). The beauty is that none need to be
aware of the specifics of how the CID message is generated, just that
it has been, which makes things very much plug and play I suppose.

Anyway, I'm going to step out of line and point you at something that
I believe interfaces with the pace modem:

<http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3>

xAP Pace by James Traynor sounds like the business down at this end.
James?

After that I have a whole pile of xAP enabled s/w that does all manner
of things, including displaying CID info on your TiVo if you have one,
as suggested by another poster.

The xAP home page is: http://www.xapautomation.org/
The xAP discussion group is: