Interesting Tivo Development!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Interesting Tivo Development!
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:29:04 -0000

Without building anyones hopes up, there is an interesting development
going
on over in the Tivo Extraction forum. Basically, someone has developed a
version of Tivos Home Media Option for Series 1 Tivos. This allows for:

-TiVo to TiVo streaming
-MP3 Player (from local storage or file share)
-JPEG Viewer (from local storage or file share)
-Previously extracted ty stream playback (from local storage or file share)

It's currently in beta and by all accounts seems to be stable and
effective!

The downer is that the author has decided that he needs a nod from Tivo
that
they won't get upset if he releases it for Series 1 Tivos. The official HMO
is only available for Series 2 Tivos and it is highly unlikely that Tivo
will make this available for Series 1 machines as Tivo development for
Series 1 seems dead in the water. He wants to ensure that they don't think
it is a revenue threat to stop the US guys (and gals) not upgrading to
Series 2 boxes.

It leaves us UK Tivo owners in the lurch as we couldn't upgrade to series 2
even if we wanted to :-(

Still, gotta respect the guys wishes and I hope he gets the nod to release
it. If he does, I'll be on ebay for a couple of Tivos pronto!

Take that Sky+ dual recording :-)

Will keep you posted

Don