RE: Parallel 240V and cat5/coax

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Parallel 240V and cat5/coax
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:13:40 -0000

Hi Paul,

Shouldnt be any problems at all.

40 feet is nothing. You have the physical barriers between high and Low
voltage and the separation is similar to that where two trunking runs
follow
the same route in industrial/commercial premises. They have runs far
greater
than that with no problems whatsoever.

There should be no need for sheilded CAT5 either.

Both the CAT5 and Mains cables are balanced (unless there are some serious
earth leakage problems on the mains!) so mains should not cause
interference. Coax is only carrying video so no high level RF signals to
radiate and cause problems, also it is 75ohm which is quite a low impedance
so to be succeptable to interference it would have quite a strong source of
interference. CCTV cameras routinely run for hundereds of metres on coax
and
it is often very close to other cables.

The water will be fine as long as it stays inside its pipe :-)

What you want to avoid is the ingress of any external water and
insects/rodents. Anything damaging the insulation of the cables will leave
it susceptable to water and after time things will fail.

HTH

Keith