Re: Re: HomeVision

hi mark
the route you are taking with xantech,comfort,hv etc is the 'default' route
that people on this list (myself included) have taken. however, the
complexity of managing this as a solution, particularly when you are trying
to also build multi room AV as well gets pretty tricky. also if you want
ultimate picture quality then you either want component,rgb, vga or DVI
video, and handling that at  switching level gets pretty expensive.

have you thought about being more radical? what about just building it all
as a pc network? have all of your dvds ripped on to hd and stored
centrally,
and then use cheaper pc clients to drive your displays. these pcs can then
drive each display at its native resolution.
rather than using xantech use netremote on some cheap low spec pocket pcs
over wifi, and then just use IR for the last leg in node 0 to your amps?
forget the dvd /cd jukebox, again use a central storage server
telephone? just use dect
tv , use digital tv cards
laser - capture them to hd or just get them again on dvd!
sky - analog capture

basically, the more you get in to a digital stream the easier it is to
route/manage
finally, forget x10 if you want reliable control, invest in a proper system
(which in terms of overal costs is quite similar to x10 anyway)
cheers
david