RE: What the **** is going on!!!???

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: What the **** is going on!!!???
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:31:03 +0100

Hi Richard

They are normal MCB's but here in the UK there are several types of Circuit
breaker with different trip thresholds. (Cant remember the exact
descriptions). The quickest type are used for most circuits but there are
slower ones designed for things like Motors which have very high surge
currents.

UK Lighting circuits used to be protected by 5A rewireable fuses, later
supperceeded by 5A cartridge fuses. Now all new work is protected by MCB's
typically rated at 6A or in some cases 10A.

Before I replaced my consumer unit I had a 5A cartridge fuse on the
lighting
circuit and the only time that ever blew was when my outside light died a
horrible death. Since replacing the consumer unit, the lighting is now on a
6A MCB and almost everytime a bulb blows it pops the trip which although it
is a bit inconvienient it only takes a second to flip it back on and it
clearly demonstrated how much better MCB's are at protecting a circuit in
the event of overload... a bit too good at times !!!

Its also common for there to be two or more lighting circuits in a house so
you dont loose the whole house, just upstairs or downstairs etc.

Do you only have the one lighting circuit in NZ or do you generally have a
lot of lights ?

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv