Re: Wireless LANs

I have just got a Viewsonic 10" Airpanel Smart Display which seems
to show up just how inadequate my wireless network is.
I am using the Linksys G WAP and I also have a 3Com 1000 AP.
The Viewsonic connects to the Linksys OK but the range is very poor -
I think - it goes to 1 bar when the unit is about 10 meters away
>from
The really annoying thing is the periodic disconnect and reconnect
which happens about every 50 seconds or so during a remote display.
It takes about 1 second to reconnect, the screen goes blank, a
windows message appears saying connection lost: attempting to
reconnect 2 of 20. The screen then recovers to where it was - if
there was a touch (mouse click) it is lost during the disconnect.
Really annoying !
The firmware version of Linksys WAP is v1.06 Feb 18 2003.
There is no such visible problem using the Linksys G card on the
Sony laptop. Although I suspect that even if happens, it is not
visible like the viewsonic because the network retries are
"silent" -
I assume!
I read in a 3com readme the following:
" Frequent re-authentication when using PEAP
Early implementations of PEAP by some access point vendors can
incorrectly cause the operating system to force a user to
re-authenticate frequently.  If you are experiencing frequent login
screens please contact your access point vendor for updated Access
Point firmware."
I don't know if that applies here (how early?)
I tried changing chanels but it did not seem to make a difference.
I am going to replace the Linksys with the 3com AP to see that cures
the Smart Display issue.
It is annoying the hell out me because in all other respects the
viewsonic is a very nice product.

Keyvan R

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, yahoogroups@m... wrote:
> Well, I can tell you that I have problems with my "G" Card
and
my "G" WAP...
> but that could be because the "G" card is actually an Apple
Airport Extreme...

> As I said before I'm going to wait until Linksys release their new
firmware
> for the WAP, if that doesnt work... I'll probably eBay it and get
an Apple
> Airport basestation instead :-)
>
> I've had a WAP11 and Orinoco silvers (from either Tony or Chris's
BB) working