RE: Wireless LANs

No problem,

As is the case with most of these products I think things will start to
work
and get better once the Taiwanese and Chinese start ramping up their
production of G devices.

I'll post to the list if and when LinkSys release their new firmware :-)

p.

Quoting "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated. Other comments below.
> I'll have a look at the URL at lunchtime.
>
> Tim H.

work
> > fine with a
> > linksys G card.
>
> Desperately trying to stop myself talking about OS's ;-)
>
> > I have seen somewhere (I'll try and hunt it out) that the WAP
> > WILL NOT WORK
> > in "mixed mode"
>
> This is very, very bad for my application ;-)
>
> In that mode its either G or B at a time, if
> > a G card is
> > connected then as soon as a B card connects, the stream drops
> > to a point of
> > almost no data transfer - this is not good and something
> > which I hope LinkSys
> > will also fix soon.
>
> And goes against the spirit of the message in the advertising,
although the
> piece in the Misco catalogue says "The Linksys Wireless-G Access
Point lets
> you connect Wireless-G or Wireless-B devices to your network." I
guess the
> key part of that statement is the final "OR", which I read
as "AND" on
> previous readings :-(
> I think the point they're making is that you only have to replace the
cards,
> not the AP to upgrade to "G".
> D-Link are a little bolder with their claims for their "Air Plus
Extreme G"
> kit: "allows seamless integration with existing 802.11b networks
. . .".
> Suddenly I've become a bit of a sceptic ;-)
>
> I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash eventually, but I'd like to
get the
> gear now, not in a few months.
>
> I chose the LinkSys
> > kit as as I believe
> > it they are the only people to offer a firmware update to the
> > final G spec
> > once it was completed.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> > As always with these things early adopters are the ones who
> > get the problems -
> > this hopefully means that because of the early people once
> > the kit comes to
> > mass market all the problems are ironed out.  I wouldnt
> > forget about G quite
> > yet, but I would think carefully about whether you want
> > something that "just
> > works"
>
> ATM, that's what I need. In the future, provided that 802.11b and
802.11g
> access points don't compromise each other's performance, it'd be
feasible to
> add a second AP for "G", or replace the "B" one
that has been proven to
> support both standards at the same time. And do I really *need* 54Mbps
on a
> wireless client . . . (sorry, wrong group to ask such questions ;-)  )
>
> or something that you are prepared to work on and play
> > with (being
> > Techy this is what I would class as "fun" - how sad am
I!)

<haweste@xxxxxxx>:

> > > Paul,
> > >
> > > Ahh. Not exactly a great experience of "G" kit
then. Any
> > news on when the new
> > > firmware will be available ? Couple of weeks, or will it be
months ?
> > > Any benefit in changing the card, rather than the AP ?
> > >
> > > Good news for WAP11 & the Orinoco card :-)
> > >
> > > What's your impression of 802.11g ? A few teething troubles
> > or something more
> > > serious ?
> > > Unfortunately I can't plump for "G" exclusively as
I need
> > to get something
> > > for my Fuji :-/
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Tim H.

"G" Card
> > and my "G" WAP...
> > >
> > > but that could be because the "G" card is actually
an Apple Airport

<haweste@xxxxxxx>:

> > the lines of the
> > > posts