Re: Help needed.....may loose job....

Brian,

Sorry to hear all this cr*p.  Personally, if I were you, I would
look for another job.  I know the times a re a bit bad for us
computer geeks.  I've been a contractor until 2001, then after all
of those IR35, I took on a permanent job.  The employer (Avnet) were
treating all the pople very badly and kept in fear (like if you
leave us you wont get another job) and I really had a masochist
manager who was watching if I am 30 second late to have a go at me
(looks like he was enjoying it, and I always laughed at his face to
make him even more mad).  I never been happier since they made me
redundant.

So, think again, start looking around. What do you think is more
worth for you, your health or that blood sucking company you are
working for ?

best regards,
Darko

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brian G. Reynolds"
<brian.g.reynolds@n...> wrote:
> ........sorry, very long........
>

> Got home from work tonight to find a letter from work headed with
the words "Final Written Warning....

> So I suppose that is where we are going?
>
> It reads...
>
> "Further to the Disciplinary Hearing which took place on 29th
July, I am writing to inform you that the decision has been taken to
issue you with a final written warning in respect of your failure to
follow lawful and reasonable instructions from senior staff on 21st
July 2003.

> At the Disciplinary Hearing, we discussed the misconduct. We asked
you if you were prepared to give an undertaking to comply with
lawful and safe instructions from superiors in the future. Your
response was that you would only follow instructions if you thought
that they were right. As explained to you at the hearing, this is
not acceptable.

> If there is no further misconduct of any nature committed over the
next twelve months, this warning will lapse. However, if there is a
recurrence of the same or similar offence or any other misconduct
the Company will have no option but to dismiss you from your
employment."

> It then goes on about appeal rights.
>
> This brings me to a few questions, if this meeting was a
Disciplinary Hearing should there have been present someone taking
notes of what was being said? who is "we"?

> I did ask another staff member to be present as I do not trust
this Director, but she was a silent witness.

> I also asked in a previous email what form the meeting would take
and what was the subject, i.e. about the bonding or the telling him
to bugger off. I never got an answer.

> Also should there have been another senior staff member present?
>
> Today I wrote a number of letters to hand to the company owner
detailing this incident and the other "complaints" made at me
when I
was not even at the site of the alleged incident's as I think I
mentioned in another email. Unfortunately the boss left for a
meeting so I will have to catch him in the morning.

> One of the letters asked for detailed company ASD procedures and
detail the equipment to be used and its location, obviously I know
the answer, no procedures and no equipment! just want it in
writing...

> I think you are all right, now is the time to seek legal advice.
>
> Also as this is the "Final Written Warning" does that not
indicate
there is a previous written warning somewhere?

> Last August I was working for a lady contractor on a site in
Milton-Keynes performing a "10 minute" (sound familiar?) install
on
a whole bunch of PC's, when I came to start the job the install
failed and on investigation I found out the permanent staff had
installed the wrong version of Oracle onto these PC's, so a 10
minute job became 30 minutes+ per PC as I had to un-install Oracle
and install a new version and then install and set-up Business
Objects.

> I was told by the contractor that if I have any problems I was to
report them to her and she would report to the section head and
carry on with the next PC, which I did.

> I had 2 days to finish this job but knew there was no chance so I
opted to work through the day with no breaks and work on as many
PC's as I could get my hands on, not very easy as anyone of you will
know that have done this, and left the site late on the first day
and stayed till the job was finished on the following day which was
gone 20:00hrs!, bearing in mind we do not get paid overtime!

> The following day back in our office I was expecting a pat on the
back for my effort but all I got was a complaint.....

> They said I was too slow and was not the right man for the job as
I could not sort out the Oracle problems! I was furious! I explained
at a hearing in our office with the same Director and our Technical
Director that I was not allowed to fix the Oracle issues, despite I
actually knew the fixes. I explained that Oracle was the wrong
version but my company would not let me ask the staff member to
ascertain what actually happened and my company expressly forbade me
>from
much money from them so just put up with it and banned me from ever
working on that site again! I could not do that and made it clear
when I was next over there I would pay a visit to the staff head and
ask her if she had been told the full story about Oracle and she
said she had not! I was then recalled back to the office and told
after I left her she went straight to the internal IT staff and said
I had called them shit! there is absolutely no way I swear in front
of women and I do not think any of their IT staff are shit! I
actually got on with them very well and had done for the past 4
years of working on that site!

> I ended up getting a formal written warning for going behind the
company's back despite me asking them to arrange a meeting so this
could be sorted out, I even said I would have absolutely no problem
apologising to the staff if they thought I was not good enough, hell
the staff member even said to my face as we were leaving after
20:00hrs how pleased she was with my workmanship! my company also
decided to let them have the days for free!!!!

> I was not at all happy.....
>
> So I suppose this constitutes the first warning?
>
> I am going to bed not to cry, I may be back but I might also kill
someone!

> Sorry for this being long but I feel you need to know what is
happening, as much as I know that is!