Re: Help needed.....may loose job....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Help needed.....may loose job....
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:07:24 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brian G. Reynolds"
<brian.g.reynolds@n...> wrote:
> ........sorry, very long........

In my (non-legal) opinion

When you said "...asked ... if you were prepared to give an
undertaking to comply with lawful and safe instructions from
superiors in the future. Your response was that you would only
follow instructions if you thought that they were right"

You thus set yourself up as someone not prepared to follow
instructions, which is nothing to do with whether what you do is
right or wrong, but whether you comply with the instructions you
have been given from your manager.

Since you have refused to undertake to do as you are told, that in
its own right a breech of discipline.

As this is a serious breech of discipline, the company may skip
the "normal" intervening steps quite lawfully, going to the final
warning.

Sounds to me like they have sucessfully managed to sideline the
issue of the original issue; it now no longer matters how wrist
bands are used or misused.

A quick web search brough a bunch of universities all of which have
their policy on the web, which looks similar to what youre going
through, see for example
http://cwis.livjm.ac.uk/employ/empserv/discipline/2_formal.htm

Stuff to read: http://www.acas.org.uk/publications/h02.html

I dont wish to be the bearer of more bad news, but is is a simple
fact (in the same way death and taxes are inevitable) that
eventually employers sh*t on employees.  Sounds like your employers
are keen to do this right now.  Although the law gives a measure of
protection to employees, in the end, its a lost cause.

When your life does return to normal (which I hope it does with all
rapidity) you need to reflect on the two experiences you've now had,
and make a judgement call about how much of _you_ that you are
willing to give employers, cos from where I'm sitting you are
trying to do the best job you can, but you have ended up in
companies where they want someone to do as they are told - an
altogether different thing.

You indeed have my comisserations.

I got fired once, after six years with a blue chip company, by a
bloke called Mr Wally.  An ex sergent major, from the catering
corps.  Wally by name, Wally by nature, I reckoned.  He'd only been
my manager for a couple of months, he was a new boy.  He was set up
by another devious manager, who had a long term downer on me, for
almost all those six years.  Wally believed what this other bloke
said, gave me a major black mark appraisal.  To be fair, he allowed
me to leave at my choice of time with one weeks notice as long as it
was within three months.  This was from a companmy I'd really made a
difference at.  I thought I was there for life.  Just goes to show...