Re: Satellite Broadband and Citrix

> Whilst from my limited personal experience Citrix copes with high
latency
> (PSTN dial-up) reasonably well I doubt it would deal with the 400-600
ms
rtt
> seen on satellite.

Definately agree !

> Fwiw, I have seen one customer who has a citrix application and
constantly
> whinges about latency. this on a WAN consisting of 2 x 34 Mb leased
lines,
> some gigabit LANs and 155mb/s ATM circuits. Typical rtt = 12ms. I
personally
> have no doubt their issues lay elsewhere but ......

Hard to say without looking at the application in use and server loading
etc..., but with a 12ms rtt and the smallest point on the route being 2 x
34Mb leased lines then I would say it unlikely to be a bandwidth
restriction, unless they are working with very large local files and/or
printing large documents. The screen draw and general usage of an
application with even a substantial number of users on that size of
connection should not provide any problems, easily proved by running the
application locally to the server farm and also a Vanilla Office
application
both local and remote to the farm and looking at the results.

We currently deliver various applications to remote sites on a private
network, where the smallest link is 2Mb and have not had any speed issues
(apart from printing, which is the only real problem area with Citrix).

> Dean

Darren