Re: [OT] Massive spam increase recently?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Massive spam increase recently?
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:19:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@i...>
wrote:
> Has anyone else seen a massive increase in spam recently, especially
> hardcore porn spam?
>
> Maybe it's just me and the dubious life I lead, but the amount of
same I
> get has trebled since Christmas and a high % of it is advertising
> hardcore porn websites. I'm even getting it on addresses that have
never
> been publicly available.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too.

Yes, I'm getting loads of spam to the two addresses I have used for
the past several years. My wife gets very little spam to her
addresses which are of the same format and have been registered
exactly the same length of time.

Of course she has never belonged to any Yahoo group, never subscribed
to any forums, very very rarely posted to a news group, never used
irc and buys a lot less online than I do. To my knowledge she has
never had any of the hard core porn spams that I certainly seem to
get every day, but she does have a small amount of commercial spam.

I am seriously considering changing my email address because of the
size of the problem I have now. On an average day I reject 100 spam
messages because they are not addressed to me or use the old email
address, but that still leaves another 100 that are addressed to me
directly. Because I occasionally get new business enquiries via this
address, I can not use a 'trusted sender' list so at the moment I am
stucj with the delete key.