RE: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:58:53 +0100

> > 2. Any network socket can become a point on interation with your
> Automation setup.
> >
> If  SWSB used, you can have unlimited number of serial devices on the
same
> RJ45 socket (using 2 spare wires), together with a PC. Is not nice?

Dan,

I don't have any spare pairs as I am using 1000base-t which uses all 4
pairs
of the cat5 cable.

As time progresses more and more people will be installing this as costs
fall.

Although every device being ethernet enabled is prohibitive costwise
currently, according to MH it won't be soon :)

RS485 is great, but it doesn't scale well and in the medium term I would
imagine a SWSB network per room/area, with each room/area connected in a
star topology over ethernet is the way forward. Until a 5$ ethernet on a
chip solution is available anyway.

Cheers, Des.