Re: Pace Twinview - First Impressions

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Pace Twinview - First Impressions
  • From: Doogie Brodie <ukhad@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:38:56 +0100

Kenneth Watt wrote:

> That's not what I meant Kevin, the actual recordings I have to admit
after a
> bit more looking last night are excellent, but it wasn't that I was
> commenting on, just the general picture quality from the box off-air.
What I
> was saying was that there is no option to lower the bitrate and allow
for
> greater overall recording time.
> The reason being that, for some people like SWMBO, picture quality
isn't the
> be all and end all to her for soaps and the high bitrate obviously
used
> here, to be frank, is wasted on her/the crap she watches and it would
have
> been better to see an option to lower it and allow a greater library
of
> recordings.

Ken,

I think what Kevin was alluding to is that, unlike a Tivo, the Pace box
doesn't have an MPEG encoding chip, only a decoder, as it saves the
broadcast stream only.... to record at a different quality, it'd have to
decode the stream and re-MPEG it at a different bitrate, like Tivo does.
(well, your Sky/ cable etc box does the decode from broadcast stream,
Tivo just does the re-encodes portion)

--
Doogie