RE: Help: Composite to S-Video lead gives a black and white image

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Help: Composite to S-Video lead gives a black and white image
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:52:16 +0100

Hi Martin,

As Ken said, you need an RGBtoSVideo converter.

The splitter you have bought, unless it is an amplified one will present
incorrect signal levels to your equipment resulting in darker images and at
worst, instability due to lack of sync.

The reason for the black & white image is that S-Video consists of two
signal, Luminance aka Luma or Y, which is a B&W picture with the detail
and
brightness info, and Chrominance aka Chroma or C which is the colour
information to add to the detail.

Tivo does not have an S-Video output. The choices are RGB or Composite
Video. By using an RGB2SVideo converter everything will have the correct
termination and you will get the best picture quality for your projector.
The RGB converter has loopthrough so the connection sequence will be....

TiVo---RGB---TV

_SVideo to Amp -- Projector

An added bonus is that you will be able to drive the TV with RGB (assuming
RGB capable SCART) giving the best image on the TV as well. If the TV
doesnt
support RGB it doesnt matter as the Sync signal of the RGB is actually
composite video anyway.

For more info on video formats...
http://www.kat5.tv/videoformats.html

Keith