Jowell praises progress towards switchover

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Jowell praises progress towards switchover
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:24:44 +0100

Jowell praises progress towards switchover
CULTURE Secretary Tessa Jowell has "applauded" the progress made
by the
industry towards achieving the Government's aim of switching over to
digital television by 2006 - 2010.

In addition, she has responded to a joint Independent Television
Commission/BBC report 'Progress Towards Digital', stressing that the
Government would take the necessary steps to ensure that the challenging
target is met.

The report claims that take-up of digital television - at 40% today -
could almost double over the next five years.

Ms Jowell said: "I welcome this report. It underlines how well the
market has done by itself in driving forward digital take-up. It is to
be applauded for this.

"Doomsayers may suggest we won't meet the target. I would say to them
that if industry can make this much progress on its own, anything is
possible. The strong take-up since the launch of Freeview shows digital
television is a product the public wants.

"But we are not complacent. This is very much work in progress. The
Government interventions suggested by the ITC and BBC are options we are
already looking at. I believe digital TV is the future and if we in
Government have to play a more forceful role to boost its take-up, rest
assured, we will do."