Software shortage for DVD-Ram

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Software shortage for DVD-Ram
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:23:45 +0100

Software shortage for DVD-Ram=20
PANASONIC is advising UK consumers to buy its DVD-Ram blank discs direct
>from

Spot checks across a number of stores have revealed a shortage of Ram
discs on shop shelves, although blanks for the rival eraseable formats,
DVD+RW and DVD-RW, are readily available and at lower prices.

A good supply of RAM blanks is vital for the Ram format because although
Panasonic's new PC burner, the LF-D521, can record either onto DVD-Ram
or DVD-RW eraseable discs, the only eraseables that work with
Panasonic's new consumer RAM recorders are RAM discs.

According to the spot checks, several Dixons stores had no Ram blanks at
all, while the chain's main Oxford Street branch in London had just two
three-packs in amongst a wide selection of the rival formats, and the
Ram price worked out at =A311.66 each.

Jessops had no RAM blanks and neither did Maplin. One salesman tried to
sell DVD+RW blanks (for as little as =A33 each) for use on a Ram recorder.

Gultronics insisted that there was no such thing as a DVD-Ram disc
recorder, and the only choice was between DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

Panasonic estimates that Ram blanks are sold in "in excess of 2,000
outlets" including Dixons, PC World and selected Currys stores, and
blames any shortages on "the huge success of sales for our DVD-Ram
recorders this year".

A Panasonic spokeswoman confirmed that RAM discs can be bought direct
>from

She added: "We recognise that there is currently a shorter supply of
Ram
media than we would desire, and we are making every effort to rectify
this. We will do all we can to improve this position in the weeks and
months ahead.

"DVD-Ram is a key strategic product and we aim to grow the market by
over 300% in the coming year and are targeting 50% share."