Pronto & X10 House Codes

Hi all.

I've been pulling my hair out over the past couple of weeks trying to
get a reliable setup to allow my Prontos to control my X10 devices. When
I set all the X10 stuff up, I foolishly used a house code for each room
in the house - thought I'd allow some room for future projects ;-)

Having obtained an IR7243AH to convert IR to X10, I thought it would be
a simple matter to program the pronto to send a house code followed by a
unit code. However, no matter how many delays or different combinations
I use, I find that only about one in three commands actually get
through. The others seem to be interpreted as either a house code with
no unit code, a unit code with no house code, or (occasionally) a house
code followed by a repeated unit code (i.e. A33 instead of A3). SWIMBO
is starting to loose faith in her ability to control vital things like
the downstairs curtains, so the situation is getting serious!

Has anyone else been through this pain and found a reliable solution?

Many thanks,

Julian