RE: Length of patch cables for CAT5

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Length of patch cables for CAT5
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <hiltoneltd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:59:57 +0100

Steve,

I guess it depends on if it is possible to leave any wiggle room, in my
experience it isn't usually possible because of either space, neatness or
proximity of mains cabling.

I have a tester which shows me pin by pin connectivity and usually finds
between 1 and 5 mispunchings out of each 100 I do (mispunchings being
either
connection not made or a pair crossed over). I think I have come across
breaks in cables less than 10 times out of over 15,000 runs (not all runs
done by me but those I didn't do I tested or supervised). Just my
experience
your mileage may vary depending on the methods used to pull/run the cables.

I am a bit confused regarding the two computer scenario as I never
mentioned
this, the installation is a fixed cabling system with sockets at both ends
of 8 cables wired in a  star with the hub at the centre of the star
connected by patch cables. The PCs/printers etc are at the points of the
star also connected to sockets by patch cables.

I think you also have the hub/switch scenario a little wrong, a hub or a
switch each allow 100metre from each port to the client PC, the difference
is in how they handle bandwith. A hub has 100mb bandwith (or 10mb) to share
across its ports (ie it is logically one shared piece of cable) a switch
allows the potential of 100mb between any two ports on the switch (I won't
go into half vs full duplex).

If any of the above is drivel then I put it down to having installed the
damn cabling today and being tired ;) but I think I have it right.

Cheers
Mick