RE: NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?
  • From: "Chris McGookin" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:12:18 +0100

if you run the command winipcfg on Win9x/ ME, or ipconfig /all on NT/
W2K/ XP it'll tell you how long your lease is and what issued it.
Providing you connect again within the lease period you'll get the same
address again. If you want to change a NIC and need to reclaim the
address, hit the release button on WinIPcfg in Win9x or "ipconfig
/release ***" ("do ipconfig /?  more" to get the rest of
instructions
on selecting the right interface!) in NT/ W2K/ XP. All the routers
should have a commanf to show lease details (I think!)

When I had the luxury of cable broadband about 2yr ago NTL used 24hr
leases served by Cisco uBR7200 head end router....might have changed if
they're now allowing multiple macs.  Providing you connect within the
lease, the only other time you will lose the address is if the router
(or alternate DHCP server) fails or is upgraded/ rebooted.

Chris