RE: NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?
  • From: "Chris McGookin" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:14:12 +0100

Richard,

think I've answered most of your qiestions in my earlier port, what I
didn't mention is that if your trying to run a HA web server or most
'normal' things then a free dynamic dns service like dyndns.org worked
fine for me. Even if you have a modem you'll find DNS agents listed that
will tell the DNS server your IP address when you connect, and redicrect
to another url (ISP homepage?) when your machine is unavailable.
Some of the services have issues/ costs if you use other ports than http
(port 80), but unless you have a real need to connect to a real IP
address totally automatically (for Netmeeting, etc) then they work fine.
If you want to you can always find out your "real" current IP
address by
checking the result of a ping, pulling a web page, etc.

Chris