Re: Long Range Wi-Fi Bulk Buy

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Long Range Wi-Fi Bulk Buy
  • From: Andy Laurence <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:11:03 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Matthew Norman wrote:
> I'd be interested in how you did this - any chance of some measurements of
> the design? or a picture or two?

I'll see what I can do.  I don't have it to hand, and I didn't build it.
It's slightly larger diameter than a Pringles can, but not much.  A better
signal could be made by soldering another can on the end of it to make it
longer.  Basically, construction consisted of...

1. Eat potatos.
2. Clean tin!
3. Make hole in side, near base.
4. Strip antenna cable around an inch.
5. Push antenna cable into hole ensuring shield contact with tin.
6. Attach N connector.
7. Test!

> (I think I might want a couple of pigtails now as well) - or would it be
> cheaper to get that dave chap to make them?)

You can buy the connectors cheaply, but the tools to crimp the MCX
connectors are expensive.  Cheaper to buy them from a bloke who makes
them.

Andy
--
Building a wireless community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.co.uk/ - updated 23/09

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor