RE: WILDLY OT... MS Pricing.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: WILDLY OT... MS Pricing.
  • From: "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:14:34 +0100

> > I'd love to be able to say the same, but RedHat doesn't run:
> >
> > Photoshop
> > Premiere
> Theres a massive program that does this on linux that i've
> got installed at home cant remember the name of it for the life of me.=

You are thinking of GiMP ... it's poo.

> > PageMaker
> OpenOffice

OpenOffice for DTP? Ahem, no.

> > HomeSite
> Balsa

Don=92t like it.

> > Quark
> Unsure about this one never used it but theres prolly an alturnative
It's the leading DTP program in the world, and no, there isn=92t.

> > Flash
> Linux Version

For viewing, yes. For creating, no.

> > Outlook
> Evolution

Ahem, no.

> > RealProducer
> Linux Version

Yeah, I'll give you late. Me not reading Real releases :-)

> > Trillian
> Plenty of AIMs out there for linux windows msgr, etc etc
> (Buddy im pritty sure its very similar to triallian)
>
> > PCAnywhere
> VNC, FTPd, TElnet, SSH, Remote X Session :)

It's not PCAnywhere. Not much use if I wan't to connect to a PCAnywhere
server!

> > Don't get me wrong. RedHat is very stable and very powerful but <= BR> > > desktop replacement it is not. It's Windows all the way and if yo= u
> > really need a *nix, get a Mac.
>
> I'd disagree replacement it can be if you need to run windows
> wine, vmware and bochs will run windows apps for stuff you
> really cant run on there, but at the end of the day it all
> comes down to preference.

Quite. Wine !=3D windows.

I can't run all the apps above natively on Linux and that is a big deal. It is also the reason why Linux will never be that popular on the
desktop.

If you want *nix, get a Mac. Power of Unix, beauty of Mac AND commerical support. Can you get any better?

  =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA
  Gerard McGovern

    w: http://www.inkiboo= .com
    m: +44 7980 760 228

    aim: inkiboouk y!: inkiboo msn: gerard@xxxxxxx
    "imagination is more important than knowledge"=

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""