Re: ADSL Options

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: ADSL Options
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:27:55 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "BEN.MCCORMACK" <ben.mccormack@o...> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have finally decided to go for ADSL.
>
> I am on the verge of placing my order for Home User Light 500 with
Andrews and
> Arnold

They're excellent IME.

> My main questions concern the networking and router setup wihtin
the house.

> I am planning to have the following connected to the network.
>
> imac - Our Main computer
> TiVo
> Win 98 PC - Used for JReceiver
> DDAR
>
> I was intending to get the Solwise SAR 715 Router / Switch. This
can be the
> switch that I need and also the firewall.
>
> I would like to be able to access the following from 'outside',
Tivoweb [snip] and also possible
> homeseer.

You should not connect your TiVO direct to the outside world - you
want to either set up a VPN or a reverse-proxy (like Apache). Out of
the box TiVOweb provides no authentication (and you can telnet to the
tivo box without a password unless you block that port).

> So should I get a individual ip address for each machine or should
I do somw
> form of NAT?

You will need at least one fixed IP to enable outside access. Then do
port forwarding to devices on your internal network. You'll still
need to add authentication protection to TivoWeb though! I'd expect
your firewall/router to be able to do this, but it's worth checking.

Patrick