Introduction

Hi,

I've just joined the list and the welcome message asked me to introduce
myself so here I am!

My name is Philip Coombes and I work in the web based software arena mostly
though I've done plenty of other stuff in the past. My interest in HA comes
>from
called ZoneMinder (http://www.zoneminder.com if you're
interested) which is
a freeware Linux based video camera monitoring security thing. A few months
ago my garage got burgled and although only a few power tools and some
expensive wine got pinched it annoyed me enough to get going on ZM. I've
installed various cameras around the place and have linked them into a
Linux
box which monitors them, detects motion based on various parameters and
records specific events into a database. These events can then be watched
or
reviewed at a later date either at home or remotely over the web.

So far, no HA! However in order to apply a little more control to
ZoneMinder
I've decided to integrate it a bit more with other stuff. Specifically in
this case a Visonic PowerMax burglar alarm which I installed at the
weekend.
I've order various X10 components (which I'd have in my hand if they'd
delivered them to the right address today, grrr) which I'm going to install
shortly. The idea behind this is that instead of monitoring all the time, I
can stick my ZM host on one (or more) X10 address(es) and program the
PowerMax to trigger that on arming, when the cameras will go live and watch
for motion, and also on alarm when they will record continuously. In a
similar vein if ZM detects motion in general it can also trigger some
lights
or whatever to simulate someone being in the house.

So, as I've indicated above, I haven't actually got my greasy paws on the
X10 kit yet to actually try it out but I'm ever optimistic.

Incidentally, I came across this list when searching for information on the
PowerMax, which is rather thin to say the least. As an aside, although it
is
a good piece of kit, the prices here in the UK compared with the US are
frankly ridiculous (as usual), and there seem to be precious few suppliers
(I got it from TTS before the recent price hike). I've tried emailing
Visonic for distributor addresses and other information on occasion with no
success also. And this weekend I discovered that accessing the unit with
the
Remote Programmer software over a mobile is a non-starter due to the 300
baud limit, though why they chose this I have no idea. So if anyone knows
where to get something that will fit the pins so I can rig up my own serial
cable I would be most grateful.

I think that's enough to get started!

Cheers,

Phil,