Re: Introduction

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Introduction
  • From: "mikehumberston" <mike@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 18:58:45 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@s...> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:21:05PM -0000, Michael Humberston wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have just joined the UK Home Automation Die Hards list and this
> > post is by way of an introduction.
>
> Hi Mike, welcome to the group. Please leave your wallet at the door,
> you'll regret it if you dont :-)

<VBG>

> > I currently have a selection of stand-alone automation equipment
> > which includes various switches, dimmers, IR remote controllers, time
> > switches, light-sensing switches, etc.  I'm starting to consider the
> > possibility of moving to a rather more integrated approach to home
> > automation incorporating computer control, the idea being to start in
> > a small way and to be able to progressively integrate more equipment
> > into the system.  I may start with a few X-10 items although I'm
> > somewhat concerned about the price, reliability and functionality of
> > those which are available for the UK.
>
> I use X10 for my HA at the moment. While it may be expensive, unless
> you're a bit tastey with a soldering iron, it's the most cost effective
> solution. I've never had any reliability problems with mine, though
> others have (but that's expected with any other system too) You're right
> about the functionality though this is slowly being addressed with
> products like The AWM2 (http://www.laser.com/?laserlink=SGAWM2) which
> does support two way communication and is small enough to fit in a
> backbox rather than a dedicated consumer unit, and it does still need a
> negative wire too.

I love that line in the Installation Instructions which says "Pull an additional Neutral wire if it is unavailable." ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm in a property where wire pulling is pretty much impossible.  However, some of the switches do seem to have spare wires available.

Mike

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor