Re: Home PC Server recommendations? (HA at end!)

From: "James Winspear" <james.winspear@xxxxxxx>
>   Anyone got any suggestions for an Off-The-Shelf PC that I could have
> in my home-office.  I'm after a ready-built PC, that functionally does
> things like:
>
> -         automatically (?) backs-up laptops when connected to it, to a
> tape (?) e.g. nightly backups when I'm out at work and come home and
> connect up to the server.

Erm, never come across something that will automagically backup remote PCs
that may not always be there.  You'll *not* get this off-the-shelf, unless I
am very mistaken.

> -         Provides file Server functionality with our laptops
> (centralised, backed-up file system)

That's easy, store your files on the server, and use a script to synchronise
what you need when away.

> -         Provides print server functionality? (colour and b/w printers)

You just add the printer on Win2k, and that's it (shares by default AFAIR).

> -         Any UPS suggestions?

I've never bought one, so others will have more of an idea here!

>   Which OS would be best for this PC-Win2000?

Win2k is nice and easy.   find it a good balance of usability, speed, and
features.

>   Which applications would be best (for file-serving, print-serving and
> backups)?

File serving - netbios is easiest to setup.
Print serving - install it, then share it.
Backups - I like BackupExec, but I've not used many.

>   Caveat being that I want off-the-shelf solutions/components that work
> (without messing around with scripts/linux etc)

Whatever you buy, you'll need to do something other than take it out of the
box!  For what you've specced, you'll need to setup some scripts to
synchronise, and setup your backup software at the very least.

>   Has anyone used DAT tapes to store DVD content? Is there a sensible
> option for being able to archive off several DVDs to tape, for
> subsequent (slow) jukeboxing?

Sounds like a silly idea, IMO.  You can wait about 20 minutes for a single
file to come back off tape.  To retrieve a DVD, you'd have to decide what
you want in the morning to watch it in the evening.  Have you considered a
DVD changer or a RAID array of hard disks?

>   If I've got a decent tape device for backup of work-data, could I also
> use this for archiving/storage of Tivo/Sky content? Or is this barking
> up the wrong tree?  [I've got a fairly decent VCR, which I'd use by
> default]

You could do, but again, I'd suggest another medium. Even backing up to CD
would be preferable, IMO.  Have you considered a DVD writer?

>   I've got a standalone HomeVision, and no MP3's (CD jukebox) -
> therefore no interaction there
>
>   I have a 10/100 hub.
>
>   I've got a Tivo box on order (from Currys)  [Thanks very much to the
> list!] - haven't kept up with the discussion, but can I then put a NIC
> into Tivo and connect it up to my hub, and then to the Server?

Yes, just hook it into the hub, and that's that.  Of course, it'll take you
an evening to hack your Tivo.  Judging by your not wanting to hack around
with servers, I'd assume you don't want to hack your Tivo!

>   I'll be getting SkySky+ shortly - again is there an obvious NIC/LAN
> connection to be made there?

No idea, I've never seen a Sky+.

> Lot of questions, but can anyone help me on what I'd have thought was a
> fairly common scenario?

We all start somewhere.  As for server recommendations, I don't know where
to start.  Myself, I'd buy a box (or box of bits to make one) of the right
spec and build the OS/software from scratch.

Andy