Re: Re: Dvd Changer mechanisms

From: "Jason Lee" <jasonjlee@xxxxxxx>
> Pics would be great!!!!
>
> What I'm after is building a computer based changer, or gutting an
> existing one..But making the reader a normal drive, so when blu ray or
> whatever takes over, just change drive and suddenly... Blu ray changer
> or HD DVD or whatever we end up with....
>
> I've got some bits and pieces on order, but I know this one will take a
> long time, but I'm a very patient guy...

Ouch!  Sounds like a big project!  I thought about something similar
recently.  My objective was to quickly and easily rip all my CDs to MP3.
With 200 to get through, it's a daunting task, so something automated would
be great.  I thought of two solutions.

The first utilised two stacks of discs.  One stack of CDs to be ripped, and
one of discs already ripped.  Using a mechanism comprising of servos from
rtadio controlled vehicles to pick the CDs up.  It would pick up the top
disc, drop it on the tray, wait for it to rip, pick it up again, and place
it on the other pile.  The mechanism to actually pick up the discs was my
main problem.  I thought of using a small rubber-coated spike which would
pick the CDs up via the hole in the middle.  The CDs would be ejected from
the mechanism with a small push.  Aligning the device would be hard, IMO.

The second idea was more care-free.  A stack of discs with a rod to push the
bottom one into the drive.  It would push a little too far which would cause
the drive tray to close.  To remove the discs, I though of using a
non-scratch pad to lift the disc off the tray, and an arm that would
basically hit the cd off sideways into a box like a baseball bat!  Of
course, this option wouldn't help you much ;-)

Andy (actively seeking a less active mind)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor