RE: Meteor Software

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Meteor Software
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:37:53 +0100

Hi James - The Equinox software available from Crucible (the manufacturers of the Meteor) will do exactly what you want. If you got your Meteor from them this should have been bundled - however from Pathway it is a different bundle aimed around development with their Active X control. I attach a copy of a previous post with some gripes that I have about Crucibles upgrade policy though in your case it will act in your favour !

    Just to let you all know of the policy that Crucible are now placing on their software upgrades for the Meteor etc.

    Equinox version 3.1 is the latest version of the software that comes bundled with the Meteor and other CTI products, and to upgrade to the version is £49.95 - yes that's right half the cost of buying a new Meteor with the software bundled !

    Now I understand that the new version 3 is a complete rewrite with a whole new host of features added including I believe Access and Outlook integration. A 30 day evaluation copy of the software is available (and on it's way). After that time you are required to purchase a license key and the software becomes tied to the machine it is licensed on. Yep - so not just one upgrade but you need one for each machine with a Meteor attached. Gets expensive for all you multi line, multi PC loggers there.

    The thing that is the real gripe however is that if you were to buy the software >from f their OEM's (w/o software) it would cost you - you guessed it £49.95. So in fact it's not an upgrade of your existing license it's effectively a new version. Some way to reward your past customers eh ...

    So is the Meteor still my preferred CTI device ?? - the answer remains a qualified yes - if you use the software. It still doesn't support Call Waiting but it works reliably and is good value at just under £100 . Make sure the software does what you want though because Crucible will obviously sting you for any upgrades and their are other solutions on the horizon if you just want CID info.

    In fairness to Crucible however this has been very much a 'feature' upgrade and their policy seems to be that bug fixes will be provided foc.The development is also contracted out.  I have a problem with the older software under W2K that they have offered to bug fix if necessary. This is a new bug to them so may be some issue at my end , I have yet to resolve it.  I  am informed that a large number of users have upgraded their software and are very happy with the new features and comfortable probably that ongoing development work is still underway. Not true of everyone nowadays.

    Kevin