RE: Linet Network Nodes

Des wrote:

"I don't think it is that popular, having a brief look at the website
explains why, it is a hardwired solution so that rules out the majority
of people. In your situation a hardwired solution is not a problem, so
it really comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want to
achieve.

I am currently working on a hardwired system using tcp/ip over 10 mbit
ethernet and using PIC micros for the device interface cards. Not much
use to you now as god knows when it will be ready :) "

There seem to be quite a few people "in the middle of designing" RS485,
TCP/IP etc hardwired systems.  I guess because volumes aren't around to
make commercial ones cheap enough (and the volumes are never going to be
there I expect).  The attraction of the Linet silicon was that it gave a
DIY approach a fair headstart and it looked simple.  Downside is that it
is *very* proprietry.

Where are you exactly with the TCP/IP solution ? (I thought I saw John
Tankard's site also talk about a TCP/IP approach ?).  One nice thing
about such a solution would be that one could remove the dependency on a
controller.  I have been thinking that if distributed switch nodes could
detect the presence of a controller then by all means pass "switch"
messages to it to decide on what to do with them, however if the
controller wasn't detected, off line etc then a default action could be
implemented talking directly to the controlled node.  Of course there
seems to have been numerous discussions from DIY's about such system
design .....  I am sort of stuck between just buying a complete package
and have it work against putting in some design effort to roll my own.
However being an electronic design engineer I know how long such designs
can take to implement - hence the appeal of the Linet system.

Thanks for the advice on CAT5 installation !

Shane

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor