TiVo fun...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: TiVo fun...
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <wormpurple@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:14:21 -0000

OK, so my TiVo finally completed its setup after 4hrs last night. Still
on version 1.5, but there's a restart scheduled for 2AM which should see
us on 2.5.

Been having fun configuring the remote into the rest of the system.
Couldn't find a code for the Denon AV amp, so I'm catching Vol Up/Dn and
mute in HomeVision and transmitting the corresponding Denon codes from
there. Works OK, except you can't hold your finger down on the volume
buttons 'cos the signals clash. Not a major problem though. It's
responsive enough.

Set up macros so that when you press the TiVo or Live TV buttons, the TV
gets turned on, the amp gets turned on, the TV selects AV2 and the amp
selects the TiVo input. Of course, this lot only happens if things
aren't already in the right state.

Similarly, hitting standby (which puts TiVo in standby) also turns off
the TV and the amp.

This means that I can control all the 'common' functions, i.e. On, Off,
Volume, etc. as well as all the TiVo controls from the TiVo remote. This
has now become the 'standard' remote, all the others (including Pronto)
are only used for less common stuff.

Only problem now is that the remote is always at the wrong end of the
sofa. Not to worry, though. A quick phone call to TiVo and =A324.99 of
your finest and there's another one on the way. One for each arm of the
sofa!

I love TiVo. I love HomeVision. I love my Denon amp. I love my Panny TV.
I'm quite fond of my JVC VCR. Shame I've still got an Amstrad Digibox.
Still got room in the AV cabinet for an Xbox (which has just moved one
position nearer the top of my shopping list) ;-)

I are an exceedingly happy easter bunny. :-)

Steve