RE: Audio Digital Data Streams

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Audio Digital Data Streams
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:25:03 -0000

AFAIK, you are correct Mark.

What I can tell you is that for AC3 from LD you *need* the RF decoder in the amp to enable the 5.1 matrix.

On DD/DTS 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 from DVD primarily but also virtually any other source then either a digital optical or co-axial is needed, it cannot be decoded through normal analogue connections to my knowledge. Don't ask me why, I just know that that’s it!

As for ITVD, again AFAIK, the digital out allows you to decode the audio signal off board, it has no function other than that and I have played about with the digital out from my Nokia. This leads me to the conclusion that Nokia perhaps saw the possibility of broadcasting being done in DD or MPEG ?veloped (mainly) by tem from Philipsd encoding of choice problem with this. ff board, it has no functio , it cannot be decoded(??) and added it just in case however, the broadcasters have a problem with this.

IIRC, the EC decided that the digital sound encoding of choice was to be the MPEG system developed (mainly) by Philips but the consumers choice was DD, so the broadcasters have a tough choice ahead. Go with DD which most people have equipment for because of the DVD boom, or go with the EEC standard and piss everyone off! ;-)

So to answer the actual question, no the Nokia box does not output DD or any other digital surround as it does not receive the signal to enable it to do so. You *will* get Dolby Surround, but it will only be marginally better by using an offboard DAC as the signal is pants anyway to start with from ITVD in 99% of cases.

As Mark rightly points out though, Phil is the real expert on this stuff.

HTH

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!