RE: Audio Digital Data Streams

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Audio Digital Data Streams
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:48:53 -0000

The following multi-channel formats are carried natively digital, and
include tagging to specify which format they're in. In addition, they
carry further tags to specify how many discrete audio channels are
included. Dolby Digital, for example, has several different varieties,
between mono and 6 channels (5 full-frequency, plus 1 limited bandwidth
intended for Bass.)

- Dolby Digital (between 1 and 6 discrete channels)
- DTS (between 1 and 6 discrete channels)
- MLP (between 2 and 6 discrete channels, I think??????????)

The following multi-channel formats are carried natively analogue, on
two channels, and don't include any tagging. They just rely on phase
processing to try to "decode" a rear channel.

- Stereo
- Dolby Surround (three channels modulated into two)
- Dolby Pro-logic (four channels modulated into two)

The real expert on all of this is Phil Harris.

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher