Re: Newbie about to run Cat5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Newbie about to run Cat5
  • From: "haweste" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:51:21 -0000

Daniel,

Thanks, that's good - all my hidden runs will be straight. For now
I'm just installing conduit and will pull the cables later.

I'll screw it to the wall as you suggest and also see if I can find
out more about the tape (I'm going to do the plastering).

Good news about (no) interference. Not all of the speaker (or Cat5)
cables wil be live all the time and it's obviously easier to run it
all in the same conduit if I can.

Thanks again,

Tim.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "James, Daniel" <daniel.james@e...>
wrote:
> >25mmx16mm with a snap on lid (but buried in the wall) since it's
got more
> >useable cross-section. Has anyone installed this type, any
comments on the
> >benefits (or otherwise) ?
>
> I used this in node zero to contain runs of Cat5 and CT100.
>
> The straight runs are fine, but as with any conduit its the
cornering that
> can be fun :-)
>
> It installs fine, I tend to drill holes in the trunking and screw
it to the
> wall. - the biggest problem you may have is making sure it doesn't
move, as
> your plasterer will curse you, and you have the danger of undoing
all his
> good work, through cracking.
>
> >I was planning on a 5-6mm plaster coat on top of the conduit -
will this be
> >thick enough to prevent cracking etc ?
>
> Finishing plaster will be fine, to ensure it doesn't crack see
above, and
> also ask your plasterer to run some tape over the conduit, (not
sure what
> this stuff is, but my plasterer used it over conduit and the joint
between
> the bay window ceiling and the house, and its been fine.
>
> >Also, in some locations, I may want to run Cat5 & speaker
cable in
same
> >conduit. I know mains & LV (Cat5) in the same conduit is a
no-no,
but what
> >about Cat5 & speaker cable ?
>
> I've done this, and haven't had a problem with either signals.
>
> >I can chase the wall, fit the conduit and plaster over, but what
about the
> >backbox ? Ideally I'd like to fit this too, and completely hide it
under
> the
> >plaster
>
> Are you planning to just fit the conduit or run the cables in there
too?

> There should be no issue either way, and I am not aware of regs on
Cat 5
> cable... but do follow the standard practice of running the cables
straight
> down the wall over the backbox.
>
> Also you can buy covers for backboxes that can be used whilst
plastering, it
> may be worth your while either making some or finding them, TLC
used to sell
> them. - so when you plaster you do not fill the backbox with
plaster, as
> scooping this out in the future would be a nightmare.
>
> If you are not installing the cable, at least put a length of
string in the
> conduit, to ease pulling cables through at a later date.
>

> HTH
>
> Daniel

Cat5
> business. I'm going to be chasing walls and installing conduit now,
but not
> actually pulling cables for a month or so (various reasons why, but
that's
> the way it has to be).
>
> I'm going to run Cat5, CT100 and speaker cable to many of the rooms
in the
> house, and build in provision for running cables to the remaining
rooms. A
> while ago James Hoye (I think) commented on the merits of different
sized
> conduit. I was originally planning on installing 25mm round, on the
basis
> that 20mm round was a bit tight for 4 cables, but am now considering
> 25mmx16mm with a snap on lid (but buried in the wall) since it's
got more
> useable cross-section. Has anyone installed this type, any comments
on the
> benefits (or otherwise) ?
>
> I was planning on a 5-6mm plaster coat on top of the conduit - will
this be
> thick enough to prevent cracking etc ?
>
> Also, in some locations, I may want to run Cat5 & speaker cable in
same
> conduit. I know mains & LV (Cat5) in the same conduit is a no-no,
but what
> about Cat5 & speaker cable ?
>
> One final question. While I'm hiring the tool and making the mess,
I'd like