Re: cat 5 cabling - a or b standard? KAT5

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 13:24 pm, Keith Doxey wrote:
> The only difference between A & B are the colours, electrically
they are
> the same. Just make sure you use the same scheme at each end :-)

I'll 2nd that. When I wired up my lounge, I printed a diagram of one of the
standards, then wired the patch panel & living room ports following
this
diagram.

A month or two later when I came to run another port into the office
upstairs
(to connect a downstairs port to the hub) I printed out another copy of the
diagram (from a different source)

I made my first mistake there, I printed a diagram of the other standard,
and
followed it. BUT I also made the mistake of not READING the diagram
properly.
Becuase the two top colours were wired opposite each other, I did the same
for the bottom two, only reading one half of the diagram *EEEE UUUEGH* the
bottom two are crossed.

So you can imagine the fun I had fault finding there huh.

>from
patch bracket & in the office drawer.

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>