RE: Home Network for the boss!

> Aaaarggh....
>=20
> The 2200USB is a pile of junk, KISS does not involve using=20
> two pieces of
> junk together...

Well I've not had any problems with it.  It's been at a client site for
about 4 months now with no problems whatsoever.
I recently purchased another for them for teleworking, which was set up as
=
VPN Lan to Lan connection with no problems at all.

The Asus does not do VPN for NATed networks which the 2200 does.  It also
has only one LAN connection as opposed to four on the 2200, and it will
als=
update your dynamic DNS host provider (if you have one) when your IP
changes.  The Asus AFAIK does not offer this either, so you can't in
fairness compare them on price without taking account of them offering a
different feature set.

> The Alcatel USB frog is just about OK, for an hours use surfing every
> night, but as a 24/7 net connection - forget it.

My client hasn't required 24/7 only about 12/5, so I can't say that it
_has=
_
stayed running that long.  All I can say is that every time they are in te
office and want to use the web, they can.

> but many on
> usenet/bbs have had serious problems with it.

Some users are expecting high end features on a low end device - eg
bemoaning lack of uPnP etc, but draytek are looking at this, and they do
ad=
new features/fix bugs on a fairly regular basis.  From what I can gather on
the seg 2200 mailing list, they are not adverse to listening to user
requests for features too......

Also, whilst some ppl have problems with the kit, but others have none at
all.  I'm sure this is true of most kit.

> But it still costs less than the 2200USB, never mind =A390 for=20
> the frog if
> you have to buy one.

True.  extra features etc aside, the 2200USB is primarily aimed IMO at ppl
who already have ADSL frogs and want to share their connection on a LAN.
Now that wires only services are offered, there may perhaps be less call
fo=
it, though if you want the 'standard' service then you are going to get a
frog anyway so you may as well use it.

> Many people have worried alot about BT/Ignites T&Cs but no=20
> one has ever
> been challenged about what hardware they are running to my knowledge.

I'm sure they haven't but if they wanted to be arsey about it they could.

I should point out that I have nothing to do with draytek, SEG, or anyone
else connected with these routers.=20=20
I'm just saying I've used them and they were hassle free (for me), and I
don't think it's fair to paint a picture of them as worthless junk!
IMHO anyway,

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com